Barrow Raiders 36-6 All Golds

The All Golds were well beaten by an impressive Barrow side on a miserable evening at Craven Park.

The Golden Fern came into the game looking to make it three wins in a row but were put in their place by Barrow who kept up the pressure on Toronto and Whitehaven at the top of the table. Three tries early in the first half gave the Raiders a 14-0 platform and despite Jack Mitchell’s well taken try at the end of the first quarter, the home side always looked comfortable.

All Golds head coach Lee Greenwood wasn’t too despondent at full time though. He said: “It was always going to be tough, Barrow are a very good side. We made too many mistakes early on which gave us a mountain to climb. We showed some promising signs after that though. I can’t knock the effort from our players, we were just beaten by a much better side.”

A swirling wind and heavy rain made for a scrappy game with plenty of knock ons and handling errors and it was the home side who handled the conditions better. The Raiders opened the scoring in the seventh minute. Off the back of a penalty Martin Aspinwall collected a short pass and crashed over under the sticks. Lewis Charnock added the extras. The Raiders moved further clear just two minutes later when Declan Hulme finished off a sweeping passing move by diving over in the corner. On 13 minutes the hosts scored their third try. The impressive Nathan Mossop timed his pass to perfection to set up Shane Toal who sprinted 40 metres to touch down. 14-0 down the All Golds were staring down the barrel of a heavy defeat but to their credit they fought their way back into the game. After Barrow had knocked on inside their own 20 metre line the All Golds moved the ball wide with Joe McClean offloading to Jack Mitchell who dived over. Courtney Davies added the extras from out wide.


Phil Cowburn was presented with a framed photograph before the game. The All Golds utility back was making his 100th appearance for the club.

That score seemed to spark the Raiders into life and they went into the break 20-6 ahead. First Toal dived over in the corner before Charnock converted a penalty on the stroke of half time. 20-6 up at the break the All Golds needed the next score if they were to mount an unlikely comeback but it was the home side who got it. Nathan Mossop, who was outstanding throughout, crashed over under the sticks with Charnock adding the easy two points.

To their credit the All Golds refused to lie down but they struggled to get out of their own half thanks to the quick line speed and ferocious tackling of Barrow. After forcing a goal line drop out the Raiders went over for their sixth try when Hulme dived over in the corner. They completed their scoring on 76 minutes when Ryan Fieldhouse forced his way over from close range. Charnock made no mistake with the conversion to send the Raiders fans home happy.

For the All Golds their attention now turns to their next game and the small matter of a trip to Canada to take on the Toronto Wolfpack.

Barrow Raiders

1 Ryan Fieldhouse

2 Brett Carter

12 Jarrad Stack

3 Dec Hulme

5 Shane Toal

6 Jamie Dallimore

7 Lewis Charnock

8 Joe Bullock

9 Nathan Mossop

10 Oliver Wilkes

11 Dan Toal

22 Brad Crellin

13  Martin Aspinwall

Subs (all used)

15 Karl Ashall

25 Matty While

16 Andy Dawson

17 Tom Walker

Tries: Aspinwall (7), Hulme (9, 71), Toal (11, 36),  Mossop (48), Fieldhouse (74)

Goals: Charnock 4/8


  Gloucestershire All Golds

1 Jack Mitchell

2 Mo Agoro

3 Phil Cowburn

4 Lewis Reece

5 Chris Barlow

6 Courtney Davies

7 Danny Fallon

8 Harrison Elliott

9 Steve Parry

10 James  Walter

11 Chris Worrall

12 Joe McClean

13 Billy Brickhill

Subs (all used)

14 Shaun Owens

15 Brad Hargreaves

16 Malikhi Lloyd-Jones

17 Richard Jones

Tries: Mitchell (20)

Goals: Davies 1/1

Penalty count: Barrow 6-6 All Golds

Half-time: 20-6

Referee: Mr L Moore

Attendance: 696

Scoring sequence: 6-0, 10-0, 14-0, 14-6, 18-6, 20-6, 26-6, 30-6, 36-6