By CHRIS WILSON, Derwent Park, Saturday
Image courtesy 40/20Pix

After being submerged by a late rally from Workington last week, the All Golds turned the tables this time out and a late try by Phil Cowburn, his second of the game, sealed a semi final place in the League 1 Cup for the second year in a row.

Coach Lee Greenwood was delighted with the result. “We fully deserved the win this week,” he said after the match. “Nobody could argue with the result.”

The All Golds showed patience in the first half making few errors and playing the territory game expertly thanks to Kieran Hyde’s kicking game which drove Town back and meant that they struggled to build pressure when they were chasing the game at the end.

Town trailed 18-6 at the break with Cowburn opening the scoring following a simple shift to the right which stretched the Town defence. Hyde added the first of his five goals.

After 20 minutes, the visitors extended their lead as Hyde’s low kick caused panic in the defence and earned a repeat set. After Joe McClean was held up over the line Harry Kidd ploughed over for the try.

After being treated for a head injury, McClean then conceded a penalty in possession and Town pulled a score back through Brett Phillips, goaled by Carl Forber.

The All Golds’ response was immediate and Steve Parry stole an easy score from dummy half on the Town line after the home side had been forced into touch for the third time in the half.

It was a different Workington in the second half and it took them just ten minutes to level the scores. The All Golds’ left side was opened up for first John Patrick and then Joe Hambley to touch down

When Phil Lister plucked a high kick out of Chris Barlow’s hands to score it seemed the recovery was complete and Town were on their way into the semi finals.

The All Golds dug in and found ways of stopping the Town attacks putting men in the tackle and slowing the play the ball down as much as they could. The lively Jamie Doran and Forber did their best to engineer gaps but they foundered when the half break went unsupported.

Town led 22-18 into the final quarter but instead of falling away, the All Golds got stronger and began to win the territory battle.

Greenwood said: “We were good for 60 minutes last week and it was close to that point again this week but we were better in those 60 minutes today. When they scored three in a row our character was totally different. We crumbled last week but this week we got stuck in, the attitude was good and we were competitive despite not seeing much of the ball.”

A fortunate ruling that Jack Mitchell’s pass was deflected into touch earned the All Golds a scrum and on the last tackle Hyde’s kick was expertly taken by Barlow who was able to score as he pleased to level matters. Hyde’s goal took the All Golds into the lead with a quarter of an hour to go.

The tension built as Town pressed forward but time after time were repulsed and their kicks were all calmly defused by the All Golds’ back three. “We were looking comfortable as the game went on and the score at the death topped it off”, added Greenwood.

Finally, Cowburn swooped on a poorly directed pass behind the attacking line and held off his pursuers to score, Hyde’s goal on the hooter capping a fine performance and was a fitting way to celebrate the club’s 100th competitive game.

TOWN: Ed Chamberlain; Phil Lister, Joe Hambley, Jason Mossop, John Patrick; Carl Forber, Stuart Howarth; Stevie Scholey, Callum Phillips, Tom Curwen; Brett Phillips, Macauley Davies, Perry Singleton; Subs (all used); Kris Coward, Alex Szostak, Conor Fitzsimmons, Jamie Doran.

Tries: Brett Philips (26), Patrick (45), Hambley (49), Lister (55)
Goals: Forber 3 from 4

ALL GOLDS: Jack Mitchell; Mo Agoro, Kadeem Williams, Phil Cowburn, Chris Barlow; Danny Fallon, Kieran Hyde; Harry Kidd, Steve Parry, James Walter; Harrison Elliott, Joe McClean, Chris Worrall; Subs (all used); Luke Stephens, Graham O’Keeffe, Ollie Purslow, Malikhi Lloyd-Jones.

Tries: Cowburn (7, 79), Kidd (20), Parry (29), Barlow (66)
Goals: Hyde 5 from 5

0-6, 0-12, 6-12, 6-18, 12-18, 18-18, 22-18, 22-24, 22-30

Penalty count: 5-3
Half-time: 6-18
Referee: Matthew Rossleigh